Saturday, June 18, 2011

Sights and Sounds Sixty-One

So our week is drawing to a close. I must admit i have really enjoyed doing absolutely nothing for the last several days. I was truly capable of switching off and not really thinking about anything other than if the tide was coming in or not or if i had packed enough beer in my cooler. We have two more days here in Sanibel. I think Dusti is getting a little restless. She is currently working on a shell/art project of whichI am sure she will be blogging about later today.

So today's post is dedicated to some of the friends we made here on Sanibel Island.

This is Isabel and Ivan. Two friendly Ibises who wandered in front of us just about everyday.


This is Eddie the one legged Egret. We felt quite sorry for this guy. He hopped along in hopes of catching fish and wasn't so elegant until he took off in flight and then he was just as majestic as the other birds.


This is another Ibis which i named Imogen. This bird allowed me to get very close while she hunted for fish. Fortunately, i had my Canon at my side and was able to get a nice shot of her in action. Too bad i chopped off her tail but it's still one of my favourite pics from this trip.


Perhaps the most most beautiful of our friend was this guy. He's a Snow Egret we named Sammy. He was simply beautiful. I think this is my favourite pic.


Finally, last night we had an unexpected visitor. He just walked out from the mangrove tress right next to our bbq grill. He was a baby perhaps a two feet long.
This is Gus the gator. Upon sighting this dude I was obligated to run inside the condo and shout "GATOR COUNTRY" to Dusti (see Dusti's blog for full explanation).



Hopefully in our final two days we will meet a couple more of the local inhabitants. Not sure I want to meet Gus's parents much though!

1 comment:

  1. Great pix Johnny! I'm so glad you're enjoying yourselves.

    ReplyDelete